Exploring any holiday destination at our own pace, whether on foot or on bicycle, is part of the adventure and long walks, cycle treks and days on the beach are to be encouraged. There are times, however, when we want something laid on to fill our days and capture our interest and tell us more about the place and the Isles of Scilly delivers.
There is a variety of tours available on land and on the water. Island Rover Tours conduct bus tours on St Mary’s from Monday to Saturday, departing from Holgates Green. There are also a number of guided walks, some of which are a full day or half-day, covering the islands history and heritage and wildlife tours are a must in one of the UK’s best bird watching locations.
On the water you can take a circular trip to see seabirds and seals or venture out to the Bishop Rock Lighthouse. There are independent boatmen operating from St Mary’s quay offering a variety of trips including visiting three islands in one day, private charters and the popular Island Sea Safaris who offer a fantastic 2-hour Shipwrecks, Seals and Seabirds trip. Details of these offers are available on the boards on the quay.
If it is a full day out you are looking for over the course of a week then here are seven ways to spend seven full days:
1) Tresco Abbey Garden is for many the main visitor attraction on the Isles of Scilly and is open daily from 10:00am-4:00pm.
2) Take a guided walk – as mentioned above, there are lots of full day walks available.
3) A visit to the vineyards on St Martin’s and St Mary’s makes for a good day out. You could visit St Martin’s in the morning and then St Mary’s in the afternoon or vice-versa, depending on which island you are staying.
4) Take a circular boat tour in the morning to see seabirds and wildlife or the Bishop Rock Lighthouse and you will be taken to another island where you can spend the afternoon visiting an artist’s studio or perhaps Little Arthur Farm or Churchtown Farm on St Martin’s which are well worth a visit.
5) There are lots of art and craft studios throughout the islands but visiting them all on St Mary’s in single day, either on foot or with the aid of a taxi, makes for a most interesting day.
6) If you are feeling sporty the go to the sailing centre and hire a windsurfer or a kayak or take a lesson in both and then have a go under your own steam. If you’d prefer to be under the water than on the water then you can go snorkelling with seals or diving. If you want to stay on dry land then opt for a round of golf followed by a game of bowls.
7) Another way to spend a day is to combine two activities, perhaps take a windsurfing lesson in the morning and go horse riding in the afternoon, for example.
There are lots of ways to spend your days on the Isles of Scilly and it does no harm to plan ahead before your visit.
Camera Obscura & Cabinet of Curiosities
Buzza Tower, St Mary's TR21 0NQ
Let us take you on a magical 360° tour of the islands in our rather splendid Camera Obscura! It will make you smile but don’t just trust us, see trip advisor! We are on the Community Bus route – ask the driver to drop you at the Obscura and come in. We also take group bookings.
Open weekdays 9.30am, last admission at 1pm. We cannot operate in high winds, heavy rain or fog but if the bunting is up we are open!
Isles of Scilly Museum
Church Street, St Mary's TR21 0JT
Exhibits of local interest from pre-history to the present day: the Romano-British brooches and coins from Nornour; the Bryher Sword and Mirror; the Civil War in Scilly; finds from many shipwrecks; model boats; collections of birds, shells and clay pipes; an old Scillonian kitchen and much, much more.
The Museum is situated half-way between the Town Hall and the Parish Church. We have an excellent reference library and a growing collection of family records, accessible to the public by appointment with the Curator.
Toots Taxi Tours
A friendly and reliable service based on St Mary’s operating 7 days a week. We offer a four-seat and a six-seat vehicle with baby seats and boosters available for very young visitors and we will take you wherever you want to go.
Why not take a one hour tour of St. Mary's? We will take you around the island, showing you local points of interest and providing you with ample photo opportunities.
01720 422142 or 07570 624669